The Moving Forward Group is an 6-8 week educational programme for women over 16 who have experienced any form of domestic and/or sexual violence. The programme provides a safe space for women to share with each other and explore the following topics:
- Safety and self care
- The value of you and creating healthy relationships
- Awareness and dynamics of abuse
- Self-esteem and confidence building
- Managing anxiety and stress
- Being mindful of your emotions
- Life after violence
- Moving on and moving forward
- some first steps on the road to recovery from domestic and sexual violence
- a space to talk, listen and be heard in an emotionally supportive and safe environment
- an opportunity to explore and understand the impact of domestic and sexual violence
- Support to develop greater self awareness, build confidence and make positive choices
- Exercises to help improve healthy relationships and safety.
The groups are open to women aged 16 + who have experienced or are at risk of domestic and/or sexual abuse. Women need to commit to attending all sessions and no new attendees will join after week 2 of the programme.
The Ascent Moving Forward Group runs 3 times a year during term time for 6-8 weeks in the following boroughs:
Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster, Ealing, Hounslow, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham, Croydon and Bromley.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic all face to face group sessions have been suspended for the foreseeable future. However the Moving Forward programme has been adapted to enable access for service users using a secure confidential platform online.
Before you send this referral in to their clinical team for review, please consider carefully whether the group is the most appropriate service for the client using the criteria outlined here.
Participants will need to have the following in order to access an online group with WGN:
With the new arrangements, clients are responsible for their own environment and are required to have a sufficient level of privacy and quiet with no other persons from the household present for the duration of the group. This is necessary for them to ensure their own safety and confidentiality and also that of other women participating in the group. This means that In cases where clients have children or other family members in the household, they will not be able to be present in the same room.
For more information on current Ascent Moving Forward Groups and to arrange a referral please call the Women and Girls Network on 020 7610 4678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also download the Referral Form.
For more information about Ascent Advice & Counselling contact: ascentA&C@solacewomensaid.org